Friday, February 7, 2014

EVE: High sec corporation

Some people feel that a high sec corp has no added value and only puts you at the mercy of awoxers. While there is some truth in that statement I still  jumped at the chance to join a new high sec corp: Lucifer’s Hammer.



Lucifer's Hammer is the industrial sister corporation of Stay Frosty and will primarily be a high sec corporation. We are still trying to figure out our identity and what direction to take so I took a look at what other high sec corporations advertise with.
  • Mining ops with orca boosting.
  • Ore refining service
  • Ore buyback program
  • Manufacturing
  • Hauling and logistics
  • Mission running
  • POS research and invention
  • POCO access at reduced tax rates
  • Jump clone access
  • Helpful advice

Which of these can I provide or assist with?
  • Mining ops with orca boosting.
    I am currently training mining director V so I can use T2 mining links and the Mining Foreman Mindlink implant.

  • Ore refining service
    My main industry alt is running mission for standings with Caldari Business Tribunal, Creodon and Quafe so I can offer perfect refine in all Everyshore high sec ice mining systems. I'll probably get standings with Core Complexion and Federal Freight Storage as well to offer the same service in Hevrice and Raneilles.

  • Ore buyback program
    Since not everyone is interested in hauling ore and minerals around the universe the corporation could offer to buy these at a reasonable price. If my own manufacturing takes off I might want to do this myself because I don't think I can mine enough to

  • Manufacturing
    I can build items for sale to Stay Frosty (I assume they tend to lose more ships as high sec players) and I can offer to build items for players that supply minerals but don't have the skills or blueprints.

  • Hauling and logistics
    With an orca, freighter and multiple blockade runners I have no trouble moving items around for those with smaller cargo hulls or for our security challenged friends in Hevrice. While I am not yet considering a jump freighter, I am looking to get into a carrier.

  • Mission running
    I could allow newer players to assist in shooting red crosses or contract a site bookmark so they can salvage missions after completion. Recruitment policy is still undecided but it seems likely Lucifer’s Hammer will adopt the same open door recruitment policy Stay Frosty has in use. So perhaps it's best to shelve any faction fit mission ships, run my own background checks or request api keys from anyone that wants to fly with me. 

  • POS research and invention
    I could research or invent blueprints for corp members that don’t have the skills when not researching anything for myself.

  • Jump clone access
    Estel Arador corp probably has more to offer as any other corporation in this regard.

  • Helpful advice
    Yay! Advice I can do, how helpful this is can be open for discussion.

Which of the above am I looking for?
  • POCO access at reduced tax rates
    Currently I do PI in a wormhole but if Lucifer’s Hammer or Stay Frosty can offer support for local PI that would be great. This is certainly something I will look into.

  • POS research and invention
    I have a small collection of blueprints but he majority needs to be researched before I can compete with established manufacturers so access to a research POS is almost mandatory for me. This is also the first thing I made inquiries about but since the Stay Frosty Frigate Free For All was coming up  most of the leadership was otherwise occupied.


The main benefit of a high sec corp I see is perhaps the social environment and being part of a group. What I want from my corporation is a sense of purpose. Instead of manufacturing the most profitable items to sell in Jita I’d rather build ships and modules that my friends plan to fly and instead of being fleetbear 254 I want to feel useful and appreciated .

This will be my first real high sec corporation. Most directors are alts of Stay Frosty members and have no real experience with high sec corporations either so we will probably hit our head a few times trying to get everything up and running. This first became obvious when I started a discussion about anchoring a research POS because until I mentioned this nobody had considered the requirements of anchoring a POS.

As self-proclaimed carebear my first step was to push for anchoring a POS in high sec. Unfortunately anchoring a POS in high sec requires the corporation to have good  faction standings. With over 30 members in just a matter of days this was not going to happen without first purging a lot of players, including myself.

I didn’t even consider anchoring a POS in low sec because that is where the evil pirates live. But with almost 200 of those pirates on our side a low sec POS might not be as suicidal as it appears. Scientific networking allows you to research blueprints remotely as long as they are stored in a corporation hangar in the same system so there is no need to turn the POS into a loot pinata either.


The close relationship with Stay Frosty and the pirate/low sec background of our leadership and perhaps players is probably what will make Lucifer’s Hammer stand out and differentiate it from most other high sec corporations.


The future?
  

4 comments:

  1. I had half a mind of joining too with my carebear alt. Who's currently in her own corporation. But I have a POS setup and do my manufacturing/research in there and despite wanting to play with other people instead of being solo in my corp, I don't want to let it go :D

    Past few weeks I've been thinking a lot about trying out something new instead of just logging in to work on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A solo corp means security, no taxes and zero demands on you.
      LH means there is a security risk and corp taxe but still zero demands on you.

      Consider joining when LH has a POS up and running? Or perhaps I should open up my own oneman corp and run a high sec POS myself. Or have my alt join your corp if you don't make full use of all available POS slots.

      I run my own personal corp but at the same time I abhor all those solo corporations and feel that people should band together more. But it's hard to say no to the tax and security advantages.

      Delete
    2. The amount of slots I use on my POS is way too low. I have access to 50 invention slots (of which I use 10 at most) 5 Copy, 15,ME 15 PE and a bunch of assembly arrays. Of those assembly arrays I only use 2 at a same time (again 10 manufacturing jobs)

      So I have an alt, with a reasonably filled up POS, that only uses 20 jobs in it.

      A solo corporation is nice to have, and very secure.. Only problem is that it does get lonely.

      In the past I thought about expanding, but finding people you are willing to trust is a pain too

      Delete
  2. I tried to join a couple of high sec corps and got tired of docking up after the inevitable war decs. I have found that the most I can expect from HS corps is (semi) experienced players who can offer advice about fittings, a few guys who come help me with harder missions and boosts on mining ops. My 2nd main is in her own corp now. Between the risks of awoxes, the higher tax rates and war decs I dont see how you could gain from a corp that stays in high sec. It would make more sense to move to somewhere like null or wormhole where war decs dont matter and the increased income off sets the risks and higher tax rate.

    ReplyDelete